|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Kilburnie, Lancaster County
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation|| Right Elevation
|Left Rear Oblique|
Originally constructed between 1826 and 1834 by Dr. Joseph Lee, Kilburnie was originally built as a late interpretation of the Federal style, but it also incorporates influences of the Greek Revival style. Changes were also made to the house during the Victorian era. The house is a two-story frame residence with full attic set on raised brick piers. During the 1880s, Victorian double doors were substituted for an earlier door in the entryway on the first floor. The front fašade is dominated by a two story Federal portico featuring a massive pediment, which extends across the entire fašade to create a temple effect. Dr. Lee was a prominent dentist and owned considerable property in Lancaster. In 1834 he sold Kilburnie to Mrs. Ann B. Crawford whose descendants owned the home for several generations. Kilburnie’s significance derives in part from its synthesis of elements from three architectural styles. In its incorporation of Federal, Greek Revival and Victorian influences, Kilburnie remains an important tie to the past in the upcountry of South Carolina. Listed in the National Register April 24, 1979. It has since been moved. Removed from the National Register December 8, 2005.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.