|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Williams-Earle House, Greenville County (319 Grove Rd., Greenville)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique|| Interior
(Holly Hill; Ivy Lawn) The Williams-Earle House, a ca. 1850 Greek Revival dwelling, is primarily significant for its architectural elements and integrity of location. This two-story, T-shape frame building with weatherboard siding is believed to have been completed ca. 1850, while the rear portion of the house was begun ca. 1820. The façade is dominated by a monumental portico with pillars and a plain entablature. The central doorway has multi-light sidelights, corner lights and transom. The portico is flanked by two tripartite windows on each story with nine-over-nine lights. The interior features a narrow, open string staircase with simple round balusters and newel posts. Dr. Thomas Williams, who is believed to have constructed the house, moved to Greenville as a child and eventually became a prominent Greenville physician and landowner and at one point served the Greenville District in the state legislature. Dr. Williams called his plantation on Brushy Creek Ivy Lawn. In 1880, Richard Harrison Earle, a farmer, landowner and grandson of Col. Elias Earle, a founder of Greenville, acquired the property. The nominated property also contains numerous historic outbuildings. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1982. The Williams-Earle House has since been moved. Removed from the National Register July 23, 2013.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Greenville, ca. 1810-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.